October 2, 2012

What's In A Name...

 
I'm about to drop a bombshell on you
Brace yourself for this
Okay, here goes....
My name is NOT just K...
(I know, shocker!)
My name is, in fact, Kayla
Not an uncommon name, just not a hugely popular name
It's easy to pronounce and easy to spell
Should be simple, right?
WRONG
While on Holidays this summer in New York and Pennsylvania I made many, many pit stops at Starbucks
I had to get my Starbucks fix in since the nearest one to my small town is an hour and a half away (and across the American border)
Now, I don't stutter or have any kind of speech impediment
I may be a fast talker but saying 'KAYLA' out loud should come off exactly how it sounds
However,
Each Starbucks I went to had a different variation on my name:
Kailyn
Kaitlyn
Kaia
and my favourite, from the Starbucks in Times Square
Kaitlyd
The Barista who made my coffee couldn't even pronounce it
After tring to pronounce it a few times he finally gave up and just yelled out my coffee order
 
Thanks, Starbucks
 So imagine my surprise when visiting a Starbucks in Hershey, Pennsylvania to find THIS on my cup

 
Hallelujah!
Finally! I was beginning to think I was going to have to change my name for when I make the big move to the city
I don't want my coffee order being snatched from me because I don't recognize the name they are calling for me
Anyone else have this problem?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com