March 12, 2013

Be A Better Blogger...


While browsing through some of my favourite blogs I noticed that they have me and my blog on their sidebar to showcase blogs they love. ME! Right up there with Holly, Mama Laughlin, Whitney, etc. And it made me feel good. But then when I thought of how I haven't posted yet this week it made me feel like a bad, bad blogger. I want to blog everyday, I really do. But lately my life has been super void of anything remotely interesting (aka winter in SK) and I just don't find make the time on weekends to get it all done. During the week I work an 8-5 job in 'the city', a 45 minute commute from my hometown. The only chance I get to blog during the day is on my hour lunch break.  I'm away from my home for 11 hours out of the day. When I get home I'm completely exhausted from my workday. I eat supper and possibly hit the gym. That's it (unless I have meetings - then its a completely different story!). Sitting at my computer to write a post just isn't on my agenda for the night. I used to be a night owl and you couldn't pay me to go to bed before midnight. Now I'm lucky if I make it to 10:30 before my eyes are drooping

But I love blogging. I get more encouragement and support from women I have never met than I do from family and friends. And part of that is my fault- I'm way more open and honest on this blog than I am in real life. I bet none of my friends even realize that I have made a lifestyle change. Or that I have lost almost 20 lbs. Or that I'm just not the same person I used to be. Partying just isn't what its all about anymore. Now its about a career and saving money to get to NYC

Lately I have been spending a lot of time in front of the tv. Not to catch up on shows I like, thats for sure. I'm so behind on all my shows that I've pretty much just resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to catch up on all of them when they release the whole season on DVD.  So no, I haven't been wasting my weekends glued to the tv just for regular shows but for my love of the sport of curling. Curling has been on tv for the last 3 weeks straight and since I miss almost all of it during the week I've been making sure I catch all of it on the weekends

Now, ever since an episode a few years back, one that involved chasing after my then roommates cat, my laptop has to stay plugged in, in the exact same spot, or it will not work. I have accidentally bumped it before and it wouldn't turn on for 6 months. For real.  So it sits downstairs in the corner of my room and barely gets touched. Because I hate having to sit there and not be able to move it wherever I want to go. The reason for explaining all this: I've mentioned before how I can't stand to just watch tv. Or just watch movies. I HAVE to be doing something else too. It annoys my mother to no end when I am on my phone while also watching tv. But that's just how I am. I have to keep 'busy'. I've been thinking a lot lately about just biting the bullet and buying myself a new laptop so I can have the convenience factor back. I can sit and watch tv and still keep busy working on posts, catching up on posts, responding to emails, etc. A new laptop would be the answer to my blogging blues

I've never done up posts on the weekends or had them ready the night before. If I post during the weekday it is usually done super quickly on my lunch break. And it sucks. I feel like I have to rush through a post. Or I have errands to run on my lunch break and don't get a chance to post at all. Then I feel like a slacker. So even though I don't want to waste money when I have an almost perfectly good laptop that was bought brand new for me my 2nd year of College I just feel like it would make my life so much simpler. I could work on posts while still getting my screen time in or bring my laptop to work with me and be able to have my pictures just a click away. Nothing pisses me off more than wanting to do a link up and realizing ALL my pictures that would go in that post are 45 minutes away

posted awhile back that I was going to work on being a better blogger. And I am. I've got my tech savvy little bro on the hunt for a new laptop for me!! I really want an iPad but a laptop is just smarter for what I will be using it for. So hopefully once I get the new laptop I will make sure I am posting on the reg. I PROMISE!

You know what else doesn't help my blogging slump? The fact that I HATE my blog design. I've found some really great blog designers but I'm just not sure that I should be spending $100 on sprucing up my blog. Would it make me want to post more? You bet your ass. Everytime I go to post something I have to go back and edit a million things before it even looks right on my screen. I keep thinking that if I had a different design I wouldn't have to put that extra editing into my posts. So now that I have decided to purchase the new laptop I need to do some more thinking about a blog redesign...
And because no post is complete without pictures I leave you with a picture of my fat cat Hank, when he was just a wittle beebee, beside my laptop before the whole roommates-cat incident


You're welcome

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's hard to fit it all in but reading everyones daily posts is a priority of mine. I enjoy and I also enjoy posting my own. I would love a new blog design but I have to hold out since I'm so new. Good luck on the computer hunting..I just got a new MacBook Pro and I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com