July 23, 2013

Color Run 2013...

The Color Run 2013 - Twin Cities, Minnesota

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. I had never ran any sort of organized run before. I started 'training' for the run in March. And then I went to Vegas, started a brand new job and worked crazy hours, and stopped training... until 10 days before the run. It wasn't until 3 days before we left for Minneapolis that I ran 5k at once (with a little bit of speed walking thrown in there)

I could barely sleep the night before the run I was so excited. I also drank a little more than I should have the night before a run...  I was up by 5:00 am SK time to start getting ready. We dressed up like tools in our awesome Color Run gear, took a quick 'before' picture, and then headed out. We stopped to grab bananas from the breakfast downstairs at our hotel because we figured we should have something in us before the run, but we were too nervous to even eat. We had figured out that the fairgrounds were about 25 minutes from our hotel, so decided to leave an hour early to give ourselves some extra time before the run started. WRONG!

Traffic was a bitch. Everyone and their dog was trying to get to the fairgrounds for the run. We were in the first time slot for the run, 8:30, and we didn't even pull up to the parking lot by the fairgrounds until 8:27. Then we had to make our way through hoards of people until we got to the starting line. Which was massive. There were people everywhere

We waited for what seemed like FOREVER (and in reality was only about 20 minutes) before we finally made it to the front and were able to start the run. There were people of all different shapes, sizes, and ages. A lot of people had the intention of walking the entire 5 KM's. So starting out it was hard to keep up a good pace because we were constantly having to dodge people left, right and centre. We were weaving our way in and out of the people walking for the first 10 minutes of the run, before we finally lost most of them. BUT then we had to deal with the walkers from the previous starts - there was really no escaping them

It was an overcast morning and I am so thankful for that! I don't know if I would've been able to keep up a good pace if it would have been any hotter. At one point it even drizzled rain for a little bit and it was such a welcome rain! 

After about 10 minutes in the blisters on my feet were hurting so bad that I needed to slow down. (Note to self: Never go out 2 nights before a run and walk all over downtown Minneapolis in heels!)  Toni and I had lost the Twin somewhere close to the starting line and at that point I started to slow down to walk out the pain from the blisters exploding (sorry for that) and Toni kept up her pace. I told myself to suck it up and started running again soon after.  I was weaving in and out of people like it was my job. All I wanted to do was yell "MOVE BITCH!" to people that got in my way. It seemed like forever before I finally got to a color station. I wasn't prepared for the feeling of breathing in the color - it dried my mouth out so bad. And thank gawd I wore a pair of cheap sunglasses because if that dust would've gotten on my contacts I would've been ripping them out of my eyes and then had to have ran basically blind. When I would go through some of the darker colors there was such a haze of it in the air that you just hoped and prayed that there was no one directly in front of you or you would be plowing into them

There was only one water station the entire run and I desperately needed it. The color was so gritty in my mouth that I felt like a person that had been trapped in the desert for days. As I came up to the water station I saw my sister just ahead of me so I ran to catch up to her, thinking there would be another water station soon that I could stop at. WRONG. Apparently they only had one water station the entire run.  At the halfway mark . That's it

The rest of the run is kind of a blur. I remember thinking to myself that I was so glad the fairgrounds were paved and we didn't have to run on gravel. Then all I could think of was getting to the end and drinking enough water to hydrate me for a year. I had my phone in my fanny pack (yes, I wore a fanny pack. Deal with it) and had music to listen to but I honestly don't even remember hearing a single song. I would just weave in and out of people and wonder how far I had gone so far

Not being able to use my Nike Running app sucked so bad. We couldn't use any of our data when we crossed the border (so to use FB, IG, Twitter, etc. we had to connect to wifi at our hotel) so the app wouldn't work to tell me how much ground I had covered. Looking back I think the color stations were at every 1k mark but at the time I had no idea how far I had gone

Toni and I had gotten back to running side by side just before the last color station and we stayed together until we finished. We had just slowed down to catch our breaths for a minute when a man standing on the sidelines was cheering to everyone and saying that we were at the 3 mile mark and were almost done. We ran from there and then hit a wall of backed up people going through the finish. We started weaving our way in and out of people because we didn't want a wall of backed up people to completely screw up our time. It was such an amazing feeling to cross that finish line. It may have only been a 5k but I am so proud that I did it. 7 months ago I couldn't imagine myself running for 5 minutes on the treadmill, let alone running an outdoor 5k. Now I have an itch to do another color run, or any kind of run! Does that officially make me a runner?!

Once we got out of the sea of people at the finish line I had one thing on my mind - finding water. We finally found water and it was the best thing ever to finally rinse the color out of my mouth. Toni and I headed back to the finish line to wait for the Twin to finish. About 15 minutes after we finished we saw the Twin head across the finish line. We then made our way over to the stage area where they played music, threw prizes into the crowd, and would do a color throw every 30 (?) minutes. We probably stayed in that area for at least an hour and a half, it not longer. We honestly weren't that colorful after we finished the run but by the time we left the stage area we were completely covered. They had hosed us down with colored water a few times while we were in the crowd at the stage so all of the colors blended together into a nasty green/brown combo. It wasn't pretty. After getting drenched with water for the millionth time we finally decided we'd had enough and headed to the car. We had taken my baby, Eleanor, on our road trip and anyone who knows me knows that I am very particular about my things and especially my vehicle. Thankfully I keep babywipes in the car for when the girls are with me and I had a bunch of garbage bags stashed in the back. Cleaning off was not easy. By this time we were starving and wanted to just go and eat but didn't think that we would be allowed to go anywhere looking like we did. I'm still kicking myself that we didn't just go and find a food truck somewhere - we never did have time to try one :(. Next time!

After about 20 minutes of cleaning ourselves up with baby wipes we were finally able to enter Eleanor. We still looked absolutely ridiculous but were headed back to the hotel to shower and get ready to hit up the MOA again. It took a LOT of scrubbing, and three rounds of shampoo before I was finally clean and even then there were still some traces of color. We even died our hotel bathtub and shower curtain blue. Whooops...

I am so glad that Toni and the Twin came with me to do this. It was such a fun experience and I am already making plans for the next one! The next color run we do I won't worry so much about my time and will just have fun with the run. It's definitely not a run that you go to set a PR- there are way to many people walking and getting in the way for that. There were people everywhere stopping to take pictures of fun signs that they had, or to stay in the color station and get completely colored and I was more worried about time than having fun like that. Next time will be different. BUT now I want to do a more organized run that is about how fast you finish. I need to start researching! It was definitely a great fun run for my first ever 5k and I'm happy to say that I now have running fever! And I'll see you next year for the the Color Run Minneapolis!

Side note: My parents were up in Northern AB and my Dad was telling all of our family that we were in Minneapolis running a MARATHON. *face palm*. Now I feel like I need to run one because my family thinks that I did! 

1. Group shot at our hotel before we left. Look how clean we were
2. With the Twin, waiting to start
3. Toni and the Twin before the run
4. Starting area. Was so nervous/excited. I just wanted to GO
5. We're off!
6. We finished! Ignore the fact that I look like I have no hair and concentrate on the fact that WE FINISHED!

1. Mine and Toni's time. Not the best but pretty good for all of the weaving we had to do
2. The Twin going through the finish area
3. One of the MC' s on the stage
5. Toni loved it
6. Color bomb going off near the stage. SO.MUCH. FUN
1. Toni just before we headed out
2. Me. Soaking wet, colored head to toe, and wouldn't have had it any other way <3
3. You can still see Toni's arms completely stained blue. Also note that she is wrapping the steering wheel with a baby wipe because she knows how controlling I am
4.Cleaning up outside of Eleanor before we headed back to the hotel
5. I miss it so much already :(
6. My runners that will never be the same again. I've wanted to go to the Running Room to get fitted for a pair of runners for a long time so this is a good excuse

Sorry for the long winded post - I just wanted to get it all down for myself so I could relive the feeling of the run over and over again
 photo signature-21.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com