August 14, 2013

Why I'm A Baby...


Look who showed up for class today! I feel like I've been missing all Summer, not just for a week. But I'm back and it feels so good to finally be getting back to normal! 

I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy a week ago and have been DYING ever since. The pain in my throat isn't actually that bad once I have a few painkillers in me. But its what those painkillers are doing to my stomach that have had me asking people to just put me out of my misery. Strong medication on a very empty stomach is no bueno! Its like having the flu for a week. No one should ever have to go through that. Not even my worst enemy.   Last night was THE best night since my surgery a week ago and this morning I was finally able to look at a computer screen without feeling nauseous so I figured I should try and get a blog post in before everything goes back to hell in a handbasket

Getting a tonsillectomy at age 26 25 is like regressing right back to being a baby
  1. You drool. A LOT. Swallowing is done only when absolutely necessary (ie: to take your painkillers). Otherwise its drool city
  2. You sleep ALL.THE. TIME. I thought I would get soooo much accomplished in my 10 days off following the surgery. I had a list of things to do that I've been putting off for months and I figured I'd be able to get them all done.  So, so wrong. For the first four days I could barely stay awake long enough to swallow my painkillers. At one point I even fell asleep with a freezie IN MY HAND. True story. And a messy one at that
  3. You can't eat solid foods. I've been living on a diet of Jell-o, freezies, yogurt, popsicles, and popcorn twists. And just yesterday I graduated to finally being able to eat Tater Tots. Apparently I've hit the Toddler stage of the recovery period
  4. You can't talk. I could talk perfectly fine about two hours after the surgery (thank you anesthesia and morphine) so I figured I'd be fine for the rest of my recovery. Wrong again. I could barely whisper the first few days and doing so took all my energy. Now I can squeak out a few words but its hurts so bad that I usually just try to communicate by nodding my head or using hand gestures. Its like a game of charades all.day.long 
The only good thing to come out of this whole ordeal? I've lost 10 lbs in a week. But I'm efffing hannnnngry. I am going to gain those 10 lbs (and more) back the second I'm able to eat regular foods again. I'm drooling (beyond the regular drooling) just thinking of the deliciousness. Mmmm.  I plan on eating as if the world is ending. And I don't care because I haven't ate in a freaking week people. A WEEK

I've watched more TV than I ever thought possible. But I keep falling asleep during episodes or halfway through a movie so I have to rewatch it. And then repeat the vicious cycle over, and over, and over. 

Funny Confession Ecard: 'I'm sick of watching Bridesmaids,' said no one ever.

1/ Last picture with my tonsils still intact. I rocked that hospital gown...
2/ I also rocked those awesome hospital booties. I need to get me some of those...
3/ I only eat Jell-o if there's vodka in it. True story. I hate the slimy-ness of it. So this last week has been a struggle. Vodka really would've been appreciated...
4/ My lifesavers. These things do not leave my side
5/I haven't moved off that spot on the couch for a week. And I swear I've watched absolutely EVERYTHING on Netflix. This bed rest thing is for the birds
6/ Shout out to the incompetent nurses who couldn't get my IV in right the first TWO times. Now I have two black and blue hands
7/ Melt in your mouth deliciousness. If the 50lbs of salt in these doesn't make me gain weight then nothing can
8/ The Toddler stage of eating
9/ My snuggle buddy for the last week. You can also compare the life of  recovering from surgery to the life of a dog...

And now I'm off to go watch a season of HIMYM, in bed, in my pajamas, while I eat freezies and constantly check Twitter. This is the life

 photo signature-21.png

3 comments:

  1. OMG that sounds awful! I hope the rest of your recovery goes quickly and you find some new stuff on Netflix. New Girl? I just started watching it and I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the New Girl suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my inner nerd speaking, but i looove frasier + downton abbey on netflix. i recommend :)
    ciao from your newest gfc follower!

    best, and feel better very soon.
    love, taylor

    bloganticipation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com