November 14, 2013

Twin Cities Take Two Recap (Part 1)...

I'm baaaaack from my mini (whirwind) vacation and I need a vacation from my vacation. I'm e.x.h.a.u.s.t.e.d. Thus, I am going to split the recap about my Twin Cities trip into two days of posts so I can use the rest of my lunch break to take a cat nap in my warm and cozy bed

I had to open the Centre on Friday morning so I was in at work from 7:15 until just shortly after 9:00. Our plan had been to leave right at 9:00 but when it comes to my sister and I everyone knows to add an extra hour onto whatever time we say we'll be ready. When I left work just after 9:00 it was snowing. A lot. And sticking to everything. For this time of year in SK we have had really good weather and barely any snow. Usually at this time the snow would've been here to stay for weeks now. But I digress. Of course it just had to start snowing when we were taking off on a ten hour road trip, right? Luckily, the snow stopped just before we hit Minot, ND and we didn't have to worry about snow for the rest of the trip. We made a pit stop at Starbucks in Minot for my first Caramel Brulee Latte of the season and I was happy as a clam for the rest of the drive. Kidding. Road tripping with children just reminds me why I don't have any of my own.  In all honesty, they really weren't that bad. 10 hours in a car is a looot for the tiny humans and we didn't make many stops because we just wanted to get there

Seeing them with their mini red cups made my heart burst with happiness

Toni's mommy-mobile has a DVD player so the girls brought movies and kept themselves occupied for most of the drive. I brought Home Alone and even though I couldn't see what was happening I still loved listening to it. I just love it that much. It rained, and even torrential down poured at one point, for at least half of the drive. Luckily it never got cold enough to make the roads slippery but it did slow us down a little bit. We got to Bloomington and our hotel around 9:30. Our plan had been to go somewhere to eat when we got to the city but we were exhausted and tired and just wanted to relax for a bit. And this girl needed some WINE after a ten hour road trip with a 7 year old and 3 year old. I checked us in to the hotel, we dropped our bags off in the room, and then we were off to find a liquor store to get me some wine and Toni some Cheladas (barf). We ordered in Toppers Pizza (its become a tradition now), I took the most amazing shower of my life  (I always feel so grungy after flying or driving long distances), had one glass of wine, and I was out like a light. It didn't help that my bed had five pillows and I felt like I was laying on a cloud...

Friday am we were up by 8:00 to start getting ready for the day. The first shuttle from our hotel didn't leave to take us to the Mall until 10:00 so we were able to get ready, go down for the complimentary breakfast, and then had a little bit of a wait for the shuttle. The girls were excited and kept calling the shuttle 'the city bus'. When we got to the MOA we headed straight to Nickelodeon World and got the girls their wristbands. They went off in search of rides and I went off in search of Starbucks (Of course). The majority of the day was spent at Nickelodeon. The girls loved it and I loved seeing how much fun they were having. We took a break for lunch and after an hour and a half wait we had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe

After our 'lunch' it was already close to 5:00. We decided to take a break from the rides and go check out the SeaLife Aquarium. The girls loved it and so did I. Toni is the type who wants to read all the information and check out all the facts but the girls just wanted to run from room to room to see what new sea life they would find. After about an hour at the aquarium we headed back to Nickolodeon for some more rides. Toni had bought the girls all day wristbands and we wanted to make sure they got good use of them. We ended up eating at Dick's Last Resort for supper and it will be the last time I eat there. We had a horrible experience while there in July but we thought that everything deserves a second chance. WRONG. I understand the concept behind the place, and when I went to the San Antonio location years ago it was a great experience, but the MOA is absolutely terrible in my books. NEVER again. All Graycie wanted was one of the hats that everyone else was getting and we had such horrible service that we never even got a chance to see our waiter let alone ask him to make her one. After that horrible supper we went back to Nickolodeon to get a few more rides in before we headed back for the night. After grabbing a Starbucks for the road, of course.  Can you believe we spent 12 straight hours at the MOA and didn't do a single bit of shopping?!

Tomorrow I'll recap Days 3 and 4 of the trip, including my first ever Chipotle experience!

 photo signature-21.png

1 comment:

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@