February 28, 2014

That's My Kind of Night...

As I write this Thursday night, I am filled with excitement for the weekend ahead of me. Our girls weekend getaway to Bismarck, ND to see Luke Bryan is finally upon us! Seeing Luke Bryan in itself is an awesome thing, but I will also be getting to cross something off of my 30 x 30 list and my bucket list. 

You see, this will technically be my first ever concert. Yes, you read that right. At 26 years old I am going to my first concert. I've been to country music festivals - Hootenanny in the Hills (yes, that was the real name of it) when I was a little girl. Pam Tillis was one of the main acts and to this day hearing 'Maybe It Was Memphis' or 'Shake the Sugar Tree' instantly transports me back to my childhood and brings back so many good memories. I also spent 5 years straight going to the Craven Country Jamboree, located right here in good old Saskatchewan. I've seen Reba, George Strait, Jason Aldean, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Taylor Swift, Gretchen Wilson, Big and Rich, and the list goes on.

But I have never been to a concert of an artist on  tour in an arena or stadium.  And that is all about to change. So seeing my first concert is getting a big ole' check mark on my bucket list. And seeing Luke Bryan is crossing off  'See one of my favourite artists in concert' on my 30x30 list. 

My parents are both country music fans and I have them to thank for my love of the country music genre. We bought my dad a karaoke machine for Christmas one year and he spent the entire Christmas holidays pretending he was Randy Travis. Don't tell him I said this, because it will go completely to his head, but he isn't that bad of a singer. I myself had big dreams of turning into an amazing singer once my tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy was complete - I had read stories about people whose voices completely changed afterwards. Alas, when I sing it still sounds like someone is strangling a cat. Nonetheless, it still doesn't stop me. I feel sorry for the poor folks who will be stuck next to me at the concert while I belt out 'Country Girl (Shake It For Me)'. 

I'm only working until noon tomorrow and then we are heading across the border and (hopefully) getting away from the weather that is being forecasted for Saskatchewan. It's apparently supposed to get to -62 with the windchill. Brrrrr!

Check back on Monday for a recap of the concert and the weekends shenanigans! 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time! Hope it is warmer down there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun! I am so pregnant jealous right now! he is performing in Fargo tonight and one of my coworkers got called to be the massage therapist for him. i told her to grab me a towel after she wipes him down. bahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously did a double-take when you said this is your first concert?! Hope you have so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com