June 30, 2014

2014 Flood...

School just finally let out in our area on Thursday (the 26th), so this weekend was the first weekend of Summer holidays for most people around here. Tomorrow is Canada Day so most of us in the GWN get tomorrow off as a Stat holiday. A lot of people (not this girl, unfortunately) also took today off to have an extended long weekend. The Canada Day long weekend usually consists of camping, fishing, boating, tanning at the pool, etc. - outdoorsy activities to partake in after a loong Winter. Late last week it didn't look too promising for many of those activities due to a gloomy forecast, but looking at the forecast on Friday I never would have imagined the devastation that so many people are facing right now

The forecast called for rain all weekend, and then turned into a rainfall warning. I'm not kidding when I say that it maybe stopped raining for a combined total of 4 hours since Friday. I went out for supper at the Olive Branch in C-duff on Saturday with the Beaver Cove ladies and as I got into the vehicle when they picked me up I mentioned that I felt like I was living in the Twilight movie. Not a single glimpse of the sun all weekend. Torrential downpours all day and all night. Might as well be living in Forks, Washington

The weekend was a major bummer. There was no beer pong being played. No drinks on the deck. No tanning poolside. Not a single item crossed off of my Summer Bucket List. But all that seems so ridiculous to be upset about in comparison to what is happening all around here

Neighbouring towns have had to declare a state of emergency. All the residents of a town 40 minutes from me had to be evacuated. The town where my sister works is basically underwater. Portions of the highways are closed or completely washed out. There are some towns that have no way in or out -  residents are stuck in their homes, or are unable to get to their homes

In 2011 the SE corner of SK, as well as North Dakota, got hit hard by flooding. People who lived by the river in O-town lost their homes. Our ball diamonds were completely destroyed and the town is still fundraising three years later to have them replaced. The campsites in the valley will never be as beautiful as they once were. The flood of 2011 was called by some the 'Once in 50 Years Flood'.  Unfortunately, they were wrong. We may not be releasing water from the dams to cause the flooding, but apparently someone pissed off Mother Nature enough to cause this amount of flooding. My heart is heavy again

The only redeeming quality about this weekend was that last night was the season opener for the Riders and we wiped the floor with the Ti-Cats. Oh, and they managed to do that while playing in torrential downpours (no domed stadiums for us). But all kidding aside, please keep those being affected by the flood in your thoughts and prayers. They are going to need all the extra positive energy they can get! 

We now own lake front property. But compared to what other areas are going through, this is nothing
I was so afraid Krickit would follow the big dogs into the water. Her favourite thing right now is puddles. Oh, and my polka dot rain boots from Target were one of the best purchases I've ever made. All this rain will make buying Hunters when I'm in Minneapolis even more justified...


Beer is absolutely necessary when reading about all the flooding. And when watching football...
  

9 comments:

  1. Hunter boots totally jealous! When my rubber boots are close to to being on the outs I WILL be purchasing a pair. But who know maybe i just might buy a pair before if the rain keeps up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at them as an investment due to all this rain :) lol

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear your weekend was such a wet one! It makes me glad I live in a desert. Hope the puddles dry up soon so you can get back to summertime fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally move to the desert right now to escape this! And thanks, I'm hoping so too!

      Delete
  3. Praying that y'all dry out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My town just got the rain, not the flooding this year, but the towns to the east could definitely benefit from some sunshine!

      Delete
  4. Flooding can be so dangerous and damaging! I hope everything gets back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad to hear, praying for all those that have been affected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad! I'm glad you're okay. We had a bad flooding in 2010 and it was something I had never witnessed before. I hope I never see it again. I hope everyone is safe and can get to safety as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com