September 4, 2014

If You Knew Me In High School....

I mentioned in my post yesterday that today I would be posting about my September goals; however, last night while scrolling through Twitter I was reminded of the 'If You Knew Me In High School' link up that Morgan and Libby  are hosting today that I wanted to link up for, so my September Goals post has been pushed to Tuesday of next week. That's what I get for not having my posts written in my planner!

A few weeks ago I got a Facebook notification that my TEN YEAR high school reunion is next August, just a week before Kenton and Kels' wedding. After the initial shock of realizing I graduated almost TEN years ago wore off I started thinking about high school and all the good (and bad!) memories. I remember graduation as if it were yesterday - not so much all of the little details about the day because I was so drunk that it's all kind of a blur - but the overwhelming feeling of finally graduating and knowing that my adult life was about to start and there would be no turning back

I graduated from Oxbow Prairie Heights School in 2005, with a class of around 35 people, most of whom I had started Kindergarten with and most of whom still live in our tiny hometown to this day. If you knew me in high school you would know...

That I worked at the Bow Manor Hotel as a waitress and (sometimes) cook's helper and spent almost all of my free time at work because that is where most of my close friends worked as well.  I skipped at least one class every day (if not more - sorry mama) to go to the restaurant to have coffee with friends. You would also know that Jayden and I got 'fired' from the restaurant a few months before graduation after telling off the new owners when they wanted us to serve moldy steaks and food that was on the floor (True story!)

If you knew me in high school you would know...
That I didn't hang out with very many people from OPHS. Millz, Toni, Jayben, Scooby, Angie and Becca were really the only people I associated with at school. You probably would have thought that I was really shy and quiet, until you got to know me better and realize that that was entirely not the case. You also might have thought that I was a brainiac because you didn't see me around very often, but that was because we spent most of our time in Carnduff hanging out with boys from CEC

Subtract the person to my left in the picture and add in Toni
If you knew me in high school you would know...
That I slacked off so much in Grade 12 that I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough credits to graduate. (I still have nightmares that I didn't graduate high school and when I wake up have to remind myself that I wouldn't have graduated from college if I hadn't finished high school). In hindsight I probably should have spent more time in class than at the Bow... Oh, and  you would also know that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life after graduation so I took a year off to figure it out

If you knew me in high school you would know...
That Jayden and I only took the same classes as each other and left Scooby on her own to take the boring classes like Chem30 and Physics 30 while we took extra spares or distance classes that we never even opened the books for. You would also know that I aced classes like History, Law, and English but failed epically at all the maths and sciences

Friends since Kindergarten
If you knew me in high school you would...
Most likely have found me at whatever bush party or house party was happening on the weekend, usually with the cheapest 26 of vodka that I could get my hands on, that I would drink straight until it was empty

Pre -drinking at my house before a bush party
If you knew me in high school you would know...
That my parents bought me a 97' Ford Taurus when I was 15, but that I didn't even go for my license until after I graduated. You would also know that a silly little thing like a license didn't stop me from driving the car that was affectionately named 'Tonto'...

If you knew me in high school you would know...
That I was so drunk at my high school graduation that I could barely walk a straight line down the aisle to the stage to get my diploma

If you knew me in high school you would know...
That my trip to Europe in Grade Ten is what sparked my love of traveling. You would also know that I saved all my babysitting money for almost a year for spending money for Vegas and that I lived on such a tight budget leading up to the trip

All the Grade 10 students who went on Europe Trip 2003

Believe in the Sparks

1 comment:

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com