December 31, 2014

Tis the Season (A Christmas 2014 Recap) ...

Can y'all believe that another Christmas is already over?! I consider Christmas to be the entire Christmas season so for me Christmas isn't quite over yet. To those people taking their Christmas trees down on Boxing Day: my heart is really unhappy about that. I plan on leaving my tree up until at least the end of January (if not all year). There's just something about a Christmas tree at night that makes my heart super happy. I'm crazy for Christmas y'all

I'm still watching Christmas movies (I did get all the ones on my Christmas To Do List watched) but that's no surprise. I've watched Love, Actually, Elf, Home Alone, Home Alone 2, & Serendipity at least 8 times each in the month of December alone. I'll be watching them in July when I'm dreaming of Christmas. Though lets get one thing straight - I HATE winter. With a burning, loathing passion. I get the Winter blues every year and with no holidays planned (insert sad face here) I'm sure it isn't going to be any different this year. The only thing I like about Winter is Christmas (obviously). After Christmas is over I'd be fine with moving on to Spring. But enough about all that - lets get onto the Christmas recap (I'm sure y'all are waiting on pins and needles for this...)


On Christmas Eve, after a family friend stopped over for a visit, my Mama, the girls, my sister, and I drove around town in our jammies while we drank hot chocolate and scoped out all the Christmas lights. We drove down 98% of O-town's roads I'm fairly certain. There were so many people who I call 'Grinch's, with absolutely no Christmas lights or decor outside. Where's the Christmas spirit?!

Before we left the house I made the hot chocolate and everyone got to pick their toppings. I had bought some Solo brand paper mugs with a Christmas design specifically in mind for this. The girls went crazy with their toppings, adding everything that I had set out, but what kid wouldn't when faced with all the choices? The girls both agreed that the house pictured a few photos down was their favourite of all the lights. The house belongs to a friend of mines parents and each year their lights display gets better and better. Some people ridicule them for their display but I love it! Also, I felt like a total stalker as we drove by their house at a snails pace with Audie-Rae holding my phone out to take a picture. And not even all of their decor is pictured!




Trying to get a nice picture of these two girls is like pulling teeth. They just don't cooperate! This is one of probably twenty attempts and is the best I got. Aye carumba. The girls elf, Candy Cane, made her last visit of Christmas 2014 and brought along a letter for the girls to read, and some cookies for them to make for Santa. They were able to hug and kiss her goodbye after Santa lifted her magic for a few moments. I think their favourite part of having their Elf around is being able to touch her on Christmas Eve. I know lots of people don't like the idea of the Elf on the Shelf but my nieces love it so we'll continue doing it



If you follow me on Instagram you would have already seen that MY BROTHER GAVE ME THE BEST PRESENT EVER!: Christopher the Christmas tree on VHS. VHS you say? It's the only way you can get a copy of the movie. Also, I still have my 19 inch tv with a built in VCR. I don't like change...

Backstory behind my excitement: when we were younger my siblings and I could NEVER sleep on Christmas Eve because of the excitement of Christmas. We would go to bed and toss and turn until finally getting out of bed around 2:00 or 3:00 am. We'd sneak into one of our rooms and all end up in one persons bed. We knew our parents wouldn't let us get up yet so we would watch tv until it was time to get them out of bed. Christopher the Christmas Tree was always playing on YTV around 3:00 am on Christmas morning. It was our absolute favourite. After watching the movie we would get our parents up around 4:00/5:00 am and open all of our presents. We haven't seen Christopher the Christmas Tree on TV in many, many years and each year I search the guide looking for it, to no avail

My brother brought my present over to the house on Christmas Eve after supper at his mother in laws.  He was insistant that I open my present that night. I was really reluctant because we have never been the type to open presents on Christmas Eve  - they are strictly for Christmas day. I was basically forced into opening the gift, even though it went against everything I believe in (regarding Christmas anyways). When he whipped out his flipcam to tape me as I opened it I was really confused. As soon as I opened the box and realized what it was I knew why he had been so insistant and why he wanted to tape my reaction. I was floored. If I was the crying with excitement type I would have never stopped crying. He won Christmas this year, that's for sure. The reason he wanted me to open it that ngiht was so we could all watch it just like we used to. The 6 of us (brother, SIL, sister, nieces, and myself) all piled into my room and watched the most magical Christmas movie ever. My heart was the happiest it's ever been I think



As per usual I could not sleep on Christmas night. I tossed and turned quite a bit and by 5:00 am I was wide awake. That may have had something to do with the fact that I forgot to shut off my alarms for work, but regardless I was awake and no matter what I tried I could not go back to sleep. I may or may not have then spent an hour on Christmas morning finishing up my wrapping while also unwrapping and re-wrapping presents because I hated the original wrapping paper I had used... Crazy Christmas lady, remember?



My sister and her girls FINALLY showed up around 10:00 am. The girls showed off their Santa presents and what was in their stockings. Graycie got the cutest little leather jacket from Santa and Rae got the first 12 Boxcar Children books (my sister and I LOVED these books when we were her age!). I've already asked to borrow them after she's done reading them #noshame

Normally we open all of our presents and then our parents make a really big breakfast. This year we had breakfast first, so we didn't even start opening gifts until after 11:00 am. Such a far cry from the days where we would be done opening gifts by 5:00 am and by 10:00 am we'd already be having our first naps of the day. Oh to be young again...



Even though we said this year we were going to tone it down a bit with all the gifts, the girls were still completely spoiled. When anyone would ask Graycie what she wanted for Christmas she would say 'Peanut Butter.' Peanut Butter?! For the kid that barely ever even eats it? Alright...When Rae was first asked she said she wanted 'My Little Pony's'. My sister decided to play a prank on them when they refused to answer with more ideas (though Rae decided about a week before Christmas that her list had expanded and kept adding and adding to it). She took an unopened jar of peanut butter from my parents house and wrapped it up from Graycie and then took a My Little Pony that Rae already owned (she got it for her birthday in September) and she wrapped that up for her. After the girls opened their stockings and gifts from Santa she gave them each their one little present, and explained that she didn't have much money this year but wanted to get them what they asked for

When they got to my parents house they had brought along all of the gifts they had opened at home. They still had a mountain of presents waiting at my parents house but they were SO excited about their stockings and Santa gifts. They didn't even seem upset about the fact that all their mom had gotten them was Peanut Butter and a toy they already owned. Graycie was most excited about all the little things in her stocking - I think she would have been fine without a single other present.

When it was time to open presents my sister had the girls open their 'real' present from her first (that they had no idea they were getting). She had gotten both of them mini iPads. They were SO excited to finally have their own iPads since they fight over my Mom's iPad all.the.time. Ater that it was a frenzy of opening gifts - the living room floor was covered in wrapping paper.

My parents were brats again (thats exactly what I told them when I opened my gift) and spent way more than they were supposed to. We all got spoiled once again. I FINALLY got the sewing machine I've been asking for for years but have been to cheap to buy myself. I had asked for one for my 25th birthday and got a beer pong table instead (my mama said she thought that it would get more use - she was probably right at the time). I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun figuring it out! My sister got me my first (but definitely not last!) pair of Hillberg and Berk sparkle ball earrings. I love them so much!

Krickit got totally spoiled but it was her FIRST Christmas so what else was a puppy mama to do?!





I stepped up my champagne game this year by making some champagne ice cubes on Christmas Eve. Many, many  mimosas were had over the holidays. We started a new tradition last Christmas of playing the Home Alone drinking game on Christmas day. Let's just say the drinking game is no joke. It is not for lightweights!




Mama outdid herself again with an amazing turkey dinner and all the fixings. We were in a food coma for the rest of the night. We couldn't even eat much the next day we were still so full!

After we had cleaned up from supper the family played Cards Against Humanity. It was my parents first time playing - I'm glad they have a good sense of humour. I'm not so sure many other people their age would appreciate the humour of the game


 
I'm always a super sad panda on Boxing Day, even though I don't consider Christmas to be over its still a sad feeling knowing I have to wait an entire year to see December 25th again. The girls headed off to their Dad's house that morning which made my sad feeling even worse. My sadness went away for a bit that night when we headed over to my Aunt and Uncles for some appetizers and drinks




I hope y'all had a great Christmas! Santa Paws is still exhausted from all her work up until Christmas...

2 comments:

  1. That was one HECKUVA Christmas post--- so much awesomeness in this post! I love it :) I seriously LOVE that your brother was able to get you that movie on VHS. Such a thoughtful gift!!! Loving all the food, games and fun you had. Happy New Year, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that winter is only acceptable for Christmas and then right after we should shift ahead for spring!!! So over winter and having to come to work today in freezing rain. Looks like an amazing Christmas!!! I watched Love, Actually this weekend as I put away my Christmas stuff and it was bitter sweet. I can't wait another year for this season again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com