January 9, 2015

The Best Year Yet...

I've said this before in previous years, but I am going to say it again: 2015 is going to be the best year yet! When I think about the past couple of years I can pinpoint exactly what year I'd consider my favourite year yet: 2012. The reason? I traveled three different times that year - first to Vegas, then Pennsylvania/NYC, and rounded out the year celebrating my friends wedding in Mexico. Traveling just makes my heart happy. I live in a tiny, tiny town with no big cities close by, so I have major wanderlust that needs to be satisfied. However, just because 2012 was an amazing year doesn't mean 2015 can't top it! And I definitely plan on trying as hard as I can to make 2015 the best year yet!

In 2015 I am going to stop using a credit card
I use my credit card for almost every purchase I make, so that I can get the reward points for each dollar spent. Most months I am really good at paying it off in full, other months (around Christmas or months I go on vacation) it takes a little while to pay it down. As much as I love getting the reward points it is way to easy to spend money you don't have with credit cards, which is why I am stopping completely. If I don't have the money to buy the item it will just have to wait

In 2015 I am going to cross (at least) 5 things off my 30x30 list
As mentioned in my January Goals, I pretty much forgot all about my 30x30 list in 2014. When I took a look at it towards the end of December I realized that I could accomplish a lot of them in 2015 and promised myself that I would complete at least 5 (but hopefully more!)

In 2015 I am going to start procuring items for a capsule wardrobe
Tracy's posts about her capsule wardrobe are awesome, as well as Kate from The Small Things Blog, and they have both inspired me to try it out. I am terrible at buying clothes that I NEVER wear. I usually wear the same 5 outfits to work every week and I want to remedy this. It literally looks like I only own five different shirts, sweaters, and pants when in reality I have a closet full of clothes I never wear. Once I have my 2015 budget worked out I can decide on when I can start procuring the necessary items 

In 2015 I am going to master sewing with my new sewing machine
I've mastered threading a bobbin, which I swear is the hardest thing in the world, so the rest of the sewing should be a piece of cake, right? It completely slipped my mind to look for fabric when I was in the Queen City on Monday getting my braces tightened so now I have to wait another 4 weeks, until I go back for my next appointment, to get some fabric. Living in the middle of nowhere is not ideal folks! Kels and I are taking ourselves and our brand new sewing machines to an adult beginner sewing class at the EFC in O-town at the end of the month so hopefully we'll learn lots!

In 2015 I am going to travel somewhere I have never been 
Hi my name is Kayla and I have an addiction. That addiction: traveling to Las Vegas. One of my best friends from high school is my go-to travel buddy - we've been to Europe, NYC & Pennsylvania, and Vegas together. She texted me last night saying we should go to Vegas over Easter  (she's a teacher so can't just take holidays whenever she pleases) but since I already have plans to go to Vegas in June or July for Kels' Bachelorette/Toni's Dirty Thirty I'm trying to convince her to go somewhere else (and also since I ALWAYS go to Vegas). She threw out every single idea I had but I'm confident we can work something out

In 2015 I am going to throw the most epic bachelorette/Dirty Thirty party in Vegas 
I LOVE entertaining and decorating for parties and if I lived in a larger area I would totally go into the event/part planning biz. For now, my options for party planning are really limited (especially not having my own home) but I already have a lot of plans in place for this epic trip. I can't go into detail though since Toni reads my blog... Stay tuned for a recap!

In 2015 I am going to stand up with my (soon to be) sister in law as she marries my brother (and try really, really hard not to cry)
I'm a cryer. I cry when I'm mad. I cry when I'm sad. I cry when I'm frustrated. Even watching weddings on tv tears me up so the last half of this one may be a little far fetched. But regardless of the crying, I am so excited for August to get here so we can officially welcome Kels into our family!

In 2015 I am going to be in the best shape of my life
I'm standing up for my (soon to be) SIL when she marries my brother this August and also was asked a couple weeks ago to be the MOH in my friend Nikki's wedding in 2016, so my fitness goals are being kicked into high gear since I want to be able to look back at their wedding photos and not be mad at myself for not working harder. I'll be sweating for the wedding(s) in 2015

In 2015 I am going to complete this reading challenge
I LOVE reading. If it were socially acceptable to spend all day, every day, in bed reading I would be all for it. My Mama starting reading to my siblings and I at a young age and because of it we all ended up being avid readers. However, I have a really hard time picking out books. I could spend hours upon hours at the library, in Chapters or Barnes and Noble, or browsing through the 'Store' on my Nook, trying to decide on what to read. Having a reading challenge of genres I need to read will definitely help with this 'problem'

In 2015 I am going to kick 'Project Down Payment' into high gear
I have a decent amount of money saved up, however, not nearly enough to be comfortable buying a home and still having a good amount of money in my savings account for emergencies. This is also where things get tricky: I refuse to stop traveling just so I can have a home. Some people think this is completely ridiculous, but I want to be able to live my life, and traveling is a very important part of it. As long as I continue to save and put a decent amount of money away each month then I am well on my way to accomplishing this goal

In 2015 I am going to (finally) become a runner
Considering one of the items on my 30X30 list is to complete a half marathon I really need to get working on this. Canadian winter lasts 6 months and the roads are basically pure ice the whole time   (I fell in my driveway twice today alone), making it is impossible to run outside during the winter. As much as I don't want to spend money that can go towards 'Project Down Payment' on silly things,  I think I am going to bite the bullet and finally get myself a dreadmill

I've 'borrowed' this post idea from Kristen - one of my favourite bloggers in all the land - so make sure you go and check out her post and leave her some love!

4 comments:

  1. I really need to pack away the credit cards too. I'm the same way - I like the rewards and the ease of the CC and then when it comes to pay it off, well I get a little behind, especially at Christmas. I also need to get in wedding shape and have even considered running a half marathon this year.... maybe we can both check it off our list. And good luck with saving up for that down payment! Buying a home is such an amazing experience and so worth while to build equity. I was surprised that I didn't need that large of a down payment with some of the financing programs we have here in the states. Does Canada have first time homebuying programs that let you do a small percentage down payment? Might be worth looking into. Also keep in mind the down payment is not always the big expense - I ended up spending a lot of that "emergency" fund after the purchase working on my house!
    Happy Friday Kayla!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, how did I miss that you have a 30x30 list too? At least you have an extra year on yours, me I have to be finished by July 2016... Eeek! I love that you are getting rid of credit cards and trying out the capsule wardrobe. I need to do both. This year I am really focusing on paying things off and still getting my travel in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about not using credit cards too. We pay ours off every month and we get a lot of reward points, but you're right that it's easier to spend more that way. We justify it with the points we get back, but if we added up all the points and compared it to the extra things we buy that get us those points, we'd probably save more by not using them in the first place.
    I would love to hear about your capsule if you try one! Even if you figure out that it's not for you, I think you'll still get a lot out of it just by paying more attention to what you buy and wear.
    I completely agree with you about not sacrificing other things you love so that you can buy a house. You still have to enjoy your life!
    Can't wait to see where 2015 takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so sweet!! i hope 2015 is totally awesome for you. i want to get to a point where i only have and use one credit card - i want to pay the balance down each month etc. but i need to get to a point where i dont max them out first! and yayyyyy running!!! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com