February 23, 2015

2015 Reading Goals...

As I mentioned in my The Best Year Yet post,  I LOVE to read. Not only do  I love to read new stories, I love going back and re-reading my favourites. Back in the day, when you had to write your name on an index card to take a book out at the library, my name would be written over and over and over again in certain books - if I love a book I can't just read it once!

Even though I usually feel super guilty when I do it, I love spending all day in bed on a weekend devouring book after book after book. When someone tells me they don't like to read this is my reaction:


Our Mama started reading to me and my siblings when we were just babies and all of us are avid readers and always have been. Yes, even my brother. He read the entire Harry Potter series before I did! We all belonged to a 'Reading Club' at our local library - each week we would check out books and then when we returned them the next week we would write the names of our books down and at the end of the year whoever had read the most books for their age category won an award. There was even a picture of us in the newspaper because of this a couple of times (I'm going to need to dig that up!). Remember, O-town is a small, small town people!

Each time I would go to the library I was always over the 8 book limit that you are able to check out (the librarian usually let me get away with it). Back then Toni and I could spend hours in a bookstore or the library just browsing all the shelves. Toni still will to this day; I, however, LOVE having a NookColour to download books onto since I can't stand clutter. I have hundreds of books on my Nook but don't have to worry about having a million bookshelves - isn't technology great?! There are still some books that I like to buy the physical copies of but I have nowhere near the collection of actual books that I once did. That tiny little bit of OCD that I have is greatful for that.

I'm also a very fast reader. If I could make a career out of reading (or typing!) fast I definitely could. It's not bragging if its true, right?  My classmates at school would take 5-10 minutes longer than me to finish reading an assignment - some would try and say that I faked reading the assignment because they couldn't believe how fast I would get it done. On the way to Texas I read Divergent from start to finish in 2 hours from Minot, ND to Bismarck, ND. Being a fast reader means that I go through books reallly fast, and then I'm once again on the hunt for a book to capture my attention.

I have to admit that as much as I love reading I'm not very adventurous when it comes to selecting books. I usually stick with the B&N Top 100 or check out what's on other people's reading lists or book club picks for the month. It takes me FOREVER to pick a book out on my Nook - if the synopsis of the book doesn't reel me in then I am moving on to the next. You cant, however, stick me into any single category of books - I don't just read romance, or science fiction, or young adult stories,etc. I read them all, as long as the story grabs my attention at first. I'm just not adventurous when it comes to taking on the classics - can you believe I've never read Pride or Prejudice or Wuthering Heights?! For an avid reader, I feel a little bit ashamed of this. 

Some of my favourite books include: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Girl Death Left Behind, My Sisters Keeper, The entire Harry Potter series (I can't pick just one favourite - don't make me!), The Scent of Rain and Lighting, Before I Go To Sleep, Still Alice, Bossypants, Charlotte's Web... the list goes on and on! Obviously, like mentioned above, these all don't fit into just one category. But also, as mentioned above, they're pretty common books that most have read - nothing too crazy or out there. BUT that's what I'm trying to work on!

I found the 2015 Reading Challenge on Pinterest and mentioned it in my Best Year Yet post. I think this challenge will push my out of my 'comfort zone' when it comes to selecting books and getting through them - I can't wait to take the challenge on!  I'll probably update my progress every couple of months so make sure you check back!


What is your hands down favourite book of all time? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. You might have to try Pride and Prejudice...it's one of my favorites!!!! I love to read but can't ever seem to find the time. I need to slow down and make time for it. I have like a gazillion books on my list to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am the same in regards to genre - I read a little bit of everything except for non fiction or super scary books. I have never read to kill a mockingbird, so if I read that you should read P&P.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com