May 20, 2015

Road Trip to Texas...



When I looked at Belinda's prompt for today I was super pumped that my post for today was pretty much going to write itself (isn't that the best?!). The prompt is 'Have you ever been on a road trip? Where did you go? If not, where would you like to take one to?' The prompt came at the perfect time because last year at this exact time I had just road tripped to New Braunfels, Texas with my brother and sister in law over the Canadian May Long weekend - a 27 hour drive that we drove straight through with very little stops

The drive was looong and tiring. Being from Canada we also didn't have any cellular data so couldn't check any social media, etc. The only thing we could do was text message (not even iMessage!).  I managed to read Divergent in a matter of an hour and a half after only being in the vehicle for 2 1/2 hours and realized quick that I hadn't brought enough books to keep me entertained throughout the whole drive. My brother is also a big Howard Stern fan (which I am NOT) and having to listen to him for hours on end almost drove me insane  - thank god for earbuds and an iPhone full of music!

We had originally planned on stopping somewhere in Kansas to get a hotel room and get a few hours of sleep but decided just to go ahead and drive straight through. On the way to Texas we stopped in Minot, ND and stocked a cooler full of drinks and snacks so that we would only have to make a few stops for fuel and wouldn't lose a bunch of time with a ton of stops.

The crazy thing is that Texas is SO big that it took us almost an entire day just to get through it to our destination of New Braunfels. We crossed the Texas state line early in the morning on the Saturday (we left O-town around 2:45 on the Friday) and then realized that we still had an entire day of driving to do before we'd finally be in New Braunfels. When we finally made it to New Braunfels around 6:30 SK time on the Saturday I had never been happier to be out of a vehicle


This is what I was doing at this exact time last year - floating the Guadalupe with not a care in the world. (It was also the day that Kels asked me to be her Maid of Honour and I can't believe we're less than 3 months out from the wedding!). I am completly, utterly, ridiculously sad that I'm not going to Texas this year. A little piece of my heart is broken knowing that I might not get there again until this time next year or even later. I NEED Texas in my life! 

Source
This accurately represents how I feel about NOT being in Texas right meow

This wasn't my first long road trip either - I had actually done the same road trip TWICE before with my entire family to New Braunfels back in 2001 and 2002. However, over ten years had passed since those road trips and I didn't quite remember how long it was of a drive. Would I do it again though? Absolutely. The cost of driving compared to getting a flight doesn't compare at all. Yes it would be nice to get there in a half a day instead of two days but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to save a little money so you can eat all the Tex-Mex and drink all the drinks once you're finally there! 

Check out my complete #10DaysinTexas recap here

Found Love. Now What?

Tell me about your favourite road trip OR where you would like to road trip to

6 comments:

  1. Texas tops the list of US states I want to visit- the fact that your photos are so gorgeous makes me want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously SUCH a crazy long roadtrip!! I don't know if I could do it- lol! Although, you are so right- its still SO MUCH cheaper than flying! The longest road trip I've done as an adult was about 12 hours. As kids, we took an awesome trip out west though... We drove to MN and stayed with friends on the lake for a week, then drove out to North & South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado and had stops in each of those- then drove home to Ohio. Favorite vacation by far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read the recap of your trip. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a crazy long roadtrip! The farthest I've gone is Havasu and it probably wasn't even nearly the commitment. At least it was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i actually haven't been on a ton of roadtrips in the US. the long driving stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com