December 4, 2015

Holiday Monster Cookies...

I LOVE to bake - I must have got it from my paternal Grandma because my Mama is not a baker whatsoever - and every year I spend at least two full days doing all my Christmas baking at once. Beaver Cove does a Cookie Swap each year and each year I make more and more as I discover new recipes (thanks Pinterest!) but also want to make my tried and true favourites. 

I also bake randomly throughout the year, especially for bake sales that my work does for fundraising, and my go to cookie to make is the Pioneer Woman's Monster Cookies. I've adapted the recipe a little bit to work better for what I like and when I make them during Christmas I always only add red and green M&M's, buy the Holiday Morsels, and use Holiday Rice Krispies to give it the Christmas colours. Laura had included in her Monday Mentions post this week that Lindsay and Brittany  were hosting a Christmas Cookie Exchange this Friday and I made sure to mark it on my calendar!

Holiday Monster Cookies

  • 2 sticks (1/2 Pound) Butter (salted) Softened
  • 1/2 cup White Sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups Brown Sugar, Packed
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
  • 1-1/2 cup Quick Oats 
  • 1/2 cup Red & Green mini M & M's (more To Taste)
  • 3/4 cups Nestle Tollhouse Holiday Semi-Sweet Red and Green morsels 
  • 3/4 cup Peanut Butter Chips
  • 2-1/4 cups Holiday Rice Krispies

(Adapted from Ree Drummond's Monster Cookies )

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter with sugars until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and beat. 

In a seperate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt. Add to mixing bowl and mix until combined. Then add the remaining ingredients - add more M&M's if you'd like, more peanut butter chips or chocolate chips, etc. At the very end add in the Rice Krispies, and mix just until combined (do not overmix!)

Use a cookie scoop to scoop balls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until golden brown, then allow to cool on a rack. If you can let the cookies cool completely before eating at least one (or ten...) then you are a Saint! 

I will be doing all of my Christmas baking in a couple weeks so make sure to check back to see what I do this year!


This is just a small example of some of the baking I did last year for Beaver Cove Cookie Swap. The cookies at the top, with the red and green, are the Holiday Monster Cookies

What's your FAVOURITE thing to bake at Christmas?

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen monster cookies with Rice Krispies in them! I looove me some monster cookies though. I love oatmeal cookies, m&m's, and peanut butter chips! And no nuts or raisins??? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these before and they're so good! Thank you for joining us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com