November 3, 2016

October Happenings...

What's New With You

October was another blink and you miss it month and I'm only having a mild panic attack that it is already NOVEMBER. On one hand I LOVE that it is November because that means Christmas (my favourite thing ever) is that much closer but it also means that it's almost the end of the year and there are so many things I hoped to accomplish this year that I'm running out of time to get done! 

October Happenings

My sister and I took a super quick trip across the border to Minot, ND for some shopping on the Friday of our Thanksgiving weekend. We had the most ah-mazing Mexican food for supper that night (the best I've had since Texas 2 1/2 years ago) at a restaurant her co-worker raves about but we had never had a chance to try. Now it will definitely be a stop anytime I go! Then we wandered around Wal Mart and drooled over everything in the Pioneer Woman's collection, but only made it out of the store with a couple things from it (don't worry, I'm heading to Minot this weekend and I'm sure a couple more things will make it back home with me). We also made it out of Wal Mart with our weight in Halloween candy - the states just has so many different options than Canada so we couldn't control ourselves. The worst part was that I had already bought a bunch in Minot when I was on my way back from visiting MN in the begininning of September. I told my sister not to let me buy anymore but she never listens to me! The next morning I got my Starbucks fix and then it was time for the whole purpose of our trip - Target. I got a super cute new Halloween throw pillow, and a bunch of other things magically found their way into my cart. How I have no idea... We were in the states for less than 24 hours but it was worth it for the delicious food, Starbucks, Target AND Caribou that I got for the drive home


Mama Bear made another delicious Thanksgiving supper that Sunday- she's the best cook in the whole wide world in my opinion. After supper it was Game 3 of the ALDS - it was a nail biter for sure but the Jays ending up winning on a bad throw to first that scored a run and that was it for the series as the Jays swept the Rangers. Happy Thanksgiving indeed! 
I spent a lot of hours at work this month (between both jobs), which meant it was a pretty boring month for me. I think October is the one month this year that has flown by the fastest, which is weird considering I really didn't actually do anything throughout the month, other than the one quick trip to Minot. One weekend was filled up with conferences and First Aid training (for the billionth time I swear) and otherwise I don't know what I did besides work. Next weekends trip to the Twin Cities can't come fast enough!

I had way too much fun with the Fall/Halloween themed Snapchat filters this month. Does anyone else wish that the Halloween flower crown would replace the regular flower crown all the time?! And how adorable does my Bicki look in her Thanksgiving filter?! haha

I also had to include this conversation between my sister and our friend Scooby. Back in March Scooby and I made an intervention banner and staged an intervention (ala HIMYM) for Tonim and after eating waaay too much Halloween candy one day I sent a message in the group chat the three of us always have going that I needed an intervention and Scooby just automatically assumed it was for drinking (mega side eye)


In the middle of the month my brother and sister in law found out what they're having and somehow I didn't immediately start buying all the cute baby things- maybe I am finally getting some willpower?! All I know is I can't wait for February to get here to get some baby snuggles! And so I finally have my wine drinking partner back haha. I just can't seem to get my sister on the wine bandwagon no matter how hard I try

My sister and I had hoped to have a night out over the weekend before Halloween and go to a social for an old friend of mine but the girls dad wasn't able to take them so instead we settled for a girls night in watching Hocus Pocus with the tiny humans, and then Dirty 30 once the tiny humans were in bed. I made chili for supper (the perfect Fall meal in my opinion), whipped up some Halloween sugar cookies, Puppy Chow, and made up a candy corn veggie tray and some taco dip and then headed to Toni's place to eat all the things and have our movie night


Halloween was a complete shit show this year. It rained all.day.long. Literally all day long. This is the first time I can ever remember it raining on Halloween. It usually is either super cold by now or there is snow on the ground, but not rain. It definitely put a damper on things and there weren't as many trick or treaters as usual. This was the first time in yeeeaaars that Toni didn't come up with some kind of costume theme for the girls - instead Rae was a witch and Graycie was Elsa. You couldn't really tell anyways because they wore ponchos to *try* and stay dry. I didn't even decorate the porch at my parents house like I normally do (my bedroom was still decorated though...) because it just didn't seem worth the effort with the rain in the forecast, and I was right. I think my parents ended up with 18 trick or treaters (last year they had 35 - we live on the outskirts of town and that was the best number yet!). You can see here and here how crazy I usually go for Halloween - I'm actually pretty bummed that this year I didn't get to go all out but there is always next year! 

The one thing that I did bring out was the Fortune Telling Witch decoration that was my Grandma Dee's that all of us kids were obsessed with. It's one of my favourite things about Halloween. Even though I didn't go all out with my decorations I still made sure to dress up my furry friends! Krickit was Spaghetti and Meatballs (an awesome Target find) and Kirby wore Krickit's unicorn costume from last year. I did make Luna wear a skeleton shirt but she somehow finagled her way out of it before I even got home from work. Also, I'm 99% certain that I have Strep (went to the Dr on Tuesday and got some really strong antibiotics due to my past history but waiting on results of the swab) and I felt like death on Halloween so I was fast asleep on the couch by 8:00 - I didn't even watch Hocus Pocus on Halloween like I usually do! Just nothing about this Halloween was like normal


Now that Halloween is over I just have to make it past November 11th and then Christmas is going to take over my entire house (eeeeek!) I may have listened to Christmas music for half of my drive to the Queen City on Tuesday for my orthodontist appointment... I'll also be attending my first ever American Thanksgiving festivities this year but I'll already be in complete Christmas mode - bring on the Holidays!

And of course it wouldn't be a monthly recap if I didnt' include some adorable Krickit pictures!


4 comments:

  1. oh man, i'm sorry it rained on halloween. bummer :( it was really warm here, so weird. that fortune telling witch is amazing! can see why you guys were obsessed with it. Krickit's spaghetti and meatballs is so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...why November 11th? Actually, I feel like maybe I remember that from your blog last year. Is it Canada's Veterans Day or Memorial Day or something? (I'm gonna go Google it now, but I had to type it before in case I guessed right!! Hahaha!) I bought Halloween candy early because Target had a 40% off coupon and I told myself I wouldn't open it before Halloween but I ended up eating like half of it. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dogs look adorable in their costumes!

    I just found your blog through the link up and I think I'm going to like it here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh all the dog pictures are so adorable! Sorry that Halloween didn't go as planned...at least it wasn't snowing?? Thanks for linking up with us !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com