December 1, 2016

November Happenings...

Happy December y'all! My favourite month of the entire year is finally here and the countdown to Christmas is on!

Image result for elf gifs
source
Yes, I hate Winter but I love Christmas SO much that December is still my favourite month regardless of my major disdain for all other things Winter. And I know I've said a million and one times that I'm going to get back into blogging consistently and then I never do BUT the month of December seems like the perfect time to actually follow through - I just have so much to talk about during my favourite month/the Christmas season. So I'm going to start the month off right and recap the month of November with the What's New With You link up (my fav!)

What's New With You

The first day of November started off with a trip to the Queen City for an orthodontist appointment, with a quick pit stop on the way at the doctors office in Estevan to get a very strong antibiotic to fight off strep throat (happens every.single.year around this time). At my orthodontist appointment I got a tentative date for getting my braces off - I should only have three more appointments and then they'll be off. Hallelujah! I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch though... until they're actually off I'm not going to let myself get excited. This weekend will mark two full years of having them. So much for the 18 months that they told me... I really don't notice them anymore but it still will be nice to not be a brace face anymore! Getting them off before my 30th birthday will be the best 30th birthday gift ever. 

We were pretty lucky throughout most of November to still be getting some nice weather - pretty unusual for us but made travelling throughout the month of November (which there was a lot of) that much easier. The snow is usually here to stay by Halloween so we love when it makes a late appearance

One of the most exciting parts of November? MN finally made it to Canada! It was a whirlwind trip due to the way the train runs. I picked him up in Minot on a Sunday morning and I had to bring him back to Minot to catch the train home on Monday night. He was only actually here for one night but he got to meet my parents, some of our 'camping family' and of course, Krickit (he'd already met my siblings). Because of the border hours at the crossing I use I went down to Minot on the Saturday night before he got in and got a hotel room for the night. It was the first time in all my 29 years that I ever spent in a hotel room alone. How crazy is that?! I got myself some Qdoba for supper (my favourite next to Chipotle), my favourite Barefoot red that is really hard to find around here, my first caramel brulee latte of the season, and then I checked into my hotel. I watched some HGTV (my favourite channel and I never get control of the remote at home!) while I ate my supper and drank my Starbucks, before I ventured off to wander the aisles of Target. Late at night is my favourite time to go because I pretty much get the entire store to myself - its perfect!
 I ran to Wal Mart for a few things after Target and then headed back to my hotel and settled in for the night. I brought my laptop so I could watch some Parks and Rec and enjoyed having that king size bed to myself and not having to share with Krickit (she's a major bed hog).

My train is always late getting in to St Paul but of course MN's train was early and I didn't get to the train station to get him until the train was already there and gone. How does he get all the luck?! We headed back to the hotel so he could shower and then we went for breakfast before heading out to the GWN - we had to get back in time for MN to watch the Vikings game (eye roll). The agent at the border was a little confused with our situation but there were no issues going through and we got to O-town around 12:30 that afternoon. MN met my parents and Krick -  Kricki was very, very wary but she always is with strangers, but my parents and MN got along great (phew!). We watched the Vikings game and then headed down the hill to the park to hang out with some of our camping family and play Bones. Kricki and her friend Maddi got into a scuffle over a dropped Popcorn Twist (ha) and Krick ended up with a small cut on her ear. As you can tell from the picture of her and my dad, she milked it for all it was worth. Also, please note that MN is lucky that I even let him near my bed with an Orioles shirt on!
The next morning we took Krickit for a walk around town and I showed MN around O-town (not that there's much to see) and then we headed into 'the city' for lunch and MN had his first ever authentic Canadian poutine. A must when visiting Canada! The rest of the day was spent lazing around and before we knew it it was time to head back to Minot to drop MN off at the train station. I had to get a hotel room again because of the border times so I drowned my sadness over saying goodbye to MN with another bottle of wine and some ice cream.

Krickit had just starting warming up to MN by the time he left so I'm really curious to see how she'll be around him when he comes next week.

The nice temperatures lasted well into November (though we didn't make it all the way through the month completely unscathed, unfortunately). With all the travelling I did Krickit didn't like to let me out of her sight much when I was at home, in case I was leaving her. It breaks my heart every time I have to! Also, I've been doing the $5 savings plan for a couple years now and I just have to say that it is the best. I save every single $5 bill that comes into my posession and when I go to use the money for something (usually for travelling) it feels like free money!

The weekend after MN visited the GWN I was off to the Twin Cities (just for a different reason than usual). Instead, I was off for my nieces birthday trip. We try and go the same time every year because of Remembrance Day, that way the girls don't miss as much school. There were three adults and three kids so you can imagine how full that van was. I gave front seat to my sisters friend and sat in the middle by Graycie and caught up on some reading (and sleeping!). It was glorious and the 9ish hour drive wasn't actually too bad considering there were three kids under 10 along for the ride.

I got Toppers pizza, Twin City Grill's Salt and Vinegar Fries, Chipotle, and Benihana's while we were there so my entire trip was made just in the food alone. We didn't even do much shopping, it was all about taking the girls on rides and taking them to spend their birthday money (which worked good because I wasn't able to blow my budget!).  
 Toni's friend Kim and her daughter came - Teanna is a year younger than Rae so the older girls would go off on some rides and we'd take Graycie to the ones that she could do - that's why she's in the pictures from Nickelodeon World and not Rae (just in case you think I have a favourite haha). We had taken the girls to Benihana's the year before so it was a must again - Kim had wanted Teanna to experience it too.
 Toni and I bought ourselves the most comfy sweaters at a touristy store in the MOA - we had been looking for some super tacky ones (we're weird like that) but had to settle for ones that just said Minnesota on them. They were so comfy that we even wore them hot tubbing at the hotel on the night we bought them. Just kidding. We were just too lazy (and full of Chipotle) to put bathing suits on but had to supervise the kids and the hot tub was just to tempting that we had to dip our feet in. Graycie spent some of her birthday money at Target on a vest, jacket, headbands, a purse and some boots and she decided that she needed to put them all together at once - she's so adorable!
Life was pretty calm for awhile following the girls birthday trip but then before I knew it it was time for me to head back to the Twin Cities, to celebrate my first EVER American Thanksgiving. You can read all about it here.

When I was in MN there was a small amount of snow, and a bit more where we spent Thanksgiving Day, and there was absolutely none on the ground at home. That didn't last long thought. On Monday it started snowing and it didn't stop until yesterday afternoon - the amount of snow we got in that small time frame is insane!

And that is everything that was crammed into the month of November! Now that I look back I can't believe how much I had going on. It should have definitely prepared me for the craziness that is the month of December. Can y'all believe there are only 4 more Friday's until Christmas?! So much to do still and so very little time! I'm kickstarting December with my work Christmas party tomorrow night, and then Toni and I head to Yorkton on Saturday for the night to celebrate Scooby's birthday and then things just get even busier from there - but I wouldn't have it any other way. Add in that I'm also doing a Beachbody 21 Day Fix challenge and my calendar is just so full of things! As much as I want Christmas to get here (because I love it so much) I also hope the month of December goes by at a nice pace - I don't want to miss out on anything!

4 comments:

  1. Girl you really need to start updating more often because I miss your posts! And also I can't remember half of what I was going to say except.. I'm jealous that you can still shop at Target (relatively easily), we had awesome weather here on the east coast in November as well, and I really want to start doing that $5 saving thing next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, all the pictures of Krickit just make me squeal at the cuteness! Also, I've only been to Canada (Victoria, BC) once when I was like 12...I need to go back and eat Canadian poutine since I didn't then!!! YUM! I've also never been to Benihana but there's one near us so I'm kind of curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so did you absolutely love having the hotel room to yourself? not gonna lie, it is one of my favourite things to do. i don't do it often, and if i do it too much i get really lonely lol, but a couple times a year is like an awesome solo time prize haha. my night looks similar to yours, hgtv and food. i normally don't venture out though because.. hgtv and food.
    i hope you get your braces off before your 30th!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Kricket is so cuuuuute!

    Wow, your November has been busy, busy, busy. All those pictures of food made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com