January 13, 2017

2017 Goals...

Can y'all believe we're almost two full weeks into January already?! The older I get the more I feel like the years just fly by. I'm always super sad when Christmas is over but someone just reminded me the other day that the way time flies it will be Christmas again before I know it (regardless of that fact I'm not taking my Christmas tree out of my room for at least another month) and they are absolutely right. That just means I need to learn to enjoy everything life throws at me since its goes by so fast

The start of a New Year is always such a great feeling. You get to leave any worries or troubles behind in the previous year (or try to) and start fresh again with a blank canvas. For me 2016 wasn't quite the shitstorm of a year that it seemed to be for a lot of other people.  I met MN, my brother and SIL found out they were having a baby, my sister and her girls finally got their new house, my moms scans continued to come back with good news, and my dad started a new job which meant that the oil industry was finally starting to pick up. I worked really hard on hitting some financial goals and though I didn't quite achieve them I got myself that much closer for 2017 and I definitely can pat myself on the back for that. 

Though 2016 was a pretty good year for me I was still looking forward to 2017 because I have BIG plans for it. I'm not going to be sharing everything quite yet because somethings are still in the works but I have set myself some goals to accomplish for the year and I'm excited to get started on them (some I already have - go me!)


In 2017 I am going to follow a bedtime routine
I set a goal for myself to be in bed by 10 each weeknight and so far so good! I work at 7:15 every day and my alarm goes off at 5:30 so in the past when I've went to bed at later times it negatively affected my entire day. My bedtime routine includes removing my makeup, a nightime skincare routine (I am turning 30 this year after all..), brushing my teeth and putting in my retainer, removing my jewelery, slathering hand cream on my poor chapped hands (unavoidable during Winter in SK), getting into my pajamas, and having my butt in bed by 10. All things that seem simple but without setting these goals for myself would probably never happen at all (except for brushing my teeth!) or would happen at 1 in the morning when I should have been in bed hours earlier

In 2017 I am going to be in the best shape of my life 
I was there last year and it killllls me that I have done a bit of a backslide. When I met MN in May 2016 I was at my smallest weight since probably high school. I had just finished my second Whole30 of the year and had been doing the 21 Day Fix up until I left for the Twin Cities. Then came Summer and with travelling back and forth from SK to MN quite often throughout the rest of the year my fitness goals just slipped away. With turning 30 this year (eeeek!) I am determined to be in the best shape of my life by my 30th birthday and the trip to Vegas that I am taking to celebrate! 

In 2017 I am going to complete this reading challenge
2016 was not a good year for me for reading. And I LOVE to read. My Nook finally died at the beginning of last year so that didn't help at all but it was also just a busy year with working two jobs and looking back I feel like I hardly had any 'me' time.  Really the only time that I did any reading was on my train travels to and from the Twin Cities. That is going to change this year for sure - I miss snuggling up under the covers with a good book!

In 2017 I am going to create a vision board 
I bought a super cute cork board from Target sometime last year and I think it will look so cute as a vision board! Having the visual reminder of my goals for the year will hopefully help me keep on track 

In 2017 I am going to CONNECT
2017 is the year I work on my friendships and relationships and also the year I make time to connect in the blog world - and I can't wait!

In 2017 I am going to take time for myself
Like I said, I feel like I hardly had any 'me' time in 2016 and that all changes this year. I am going to set aside time to get tonthly massages, get my hair done, get pedicures, have my nails filled,etc. I'm going to set aside time to read a book and not feel guilty that I should be doing something else or spend hours wandering the aisles of Target and not feel guilty about neglecting my to do list. I just need to find that balance and work on my 'me' time

In 2017 I am going to stop using credit cards
I am SO close to being completely credit card debt free and it feels so good! This was a plan put into motion last year and though I didn't completely make it through the year credit card free I did a lot better than previous years and I paid off a LOT of debt. I do still plan to use my credit cards to earn the rewards but they will only get used like a debit card and I will pay off any purchases immediately so I don't end up back in a situation like in the past. If I don't have the money it won't be bought!

In 2017 I am going to travel somewhere I have never been 
Chicago, Seattle, and Toronto are at the top of my list but I will take anything I can get! Last year I spent most of my time travelling to the Twin Cities to see MN so I didn't get to expand much on traveling to new places. I travelled to the Twin Cities 7 different times last year and aside from a whirlwind road trip to Kansas City that was it for my travels for 2016. I did get to cross travelling to a new state off of my list when MN and I took a day trip to Wisconsin to visit the Leinenkugel brewery and a stop for lunch at what is now my second favourite restaurant of all time (behind the Gristmill in Gruene, TX).  I also got to explore Duluth, MN which was absolutely gorgeous - I can't wait to go back! I didn't even make it to Vegas in 2016, the first year since 2008 that I didn't go! 

In 2017 I am going to spend more time in the kitchen 
I love cooking and baking and I feel like I hardly got to spend any time in the kitchen in 2016 (more on why in my next goal). I haven't tried any new recipes in forever and that is going to change in 2017. I want to cook at least two nights a week and try something new at least one of those days. I purchased The Pioneer Womans' A Year of Holidays cookbook late last year and I'm excited to try a bunch of things from it

In 2017 I am going to take a step back in my professional life 
I have been at my current job for almost 4 years (May 4th is my 4 year anniversary) and this business has been my baby since even before then. Way back at the beginning of 2012 I met with a lady in the community and started the groundwork for the business. Even though I didn't know if I would leave my job at the time to run the business I still put everything into getting it up and running. I have poured my heart and soul into it over the past 3 1/2 years but I have realized lately that its not exactly healthy and I need to take a bit of a step back. Not only was I scheduling myself to work 10+ hour days to help the business out financially but I was also taking work problems home with me and constantly stressing myself out and that wasn't helping my mental health at all. By the time I would get home at night, most nights after 6pm, I was just completely drained. I had zero energy and felt stuck in a rut. I don't know when exactly I started to change my thought process but I just had a realization that I won't be at this business for forever and that I needed to take that step back and that it needed to happen sooner rather than later. I'm going to stick to my 8 hours a day (unless I have to fill in for someone else which is unavoidable at times since I am the boss) and I'm really hoping this will help me to achieve some of my other goals, like sticking to my nightime and morning routines, spending more time in the kitchen, and sticking to a fitness routine. It's hard to let go of control but I know that I need to. I'll still be fulfulling all my responsiblities but won't be taking on the extra that I did in 2016

In 2017 I am going to follow a morning routine 
Gone are the days of hitting snooze a million times! My morning routine includes making myself presentable for work - I never used to wear makeup to work and now its a must. I will make my bed each day for work, put all my clothes away in hampers, make sure my bathroom is cleaned up after I finish getting ready, etc. After a long day of work it is so nice to come back home to a clean and organized space

In 2017 I am going to pay off my SUV
And it's going to feel so good! Having that extra $600+ every month is going to be the best. This is obviously a goal that I know I will accomplish since I only have 7 more payments left but its nice to have something on here that I know with certainty will be achieved. Eleanor and I still have a lot of years left together (or at least I hope!)

I have so much to look forward to in 2017. The birth of my first nephew in February, my 1 year anniversary with MN, my 30th birthday and a trip to Vegas to celebrate, Krickit's third birthday, and so much more - I can't wait to see what else 2017 has in store for me! I also have BIG plans for this space of mine, which include my goal of CONNECTING more, and I'm excited to get started on them. 2017 is going to be the best year yet!

(Also, it's fitting that this post is going up on one of my favourite days - Friday the 13th!)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you certainly have a lot of goals for this year! Can't wait to watch your progress! I, too, want to connect more with other bloggers as well as my readers, and really grow my engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that the reason time seems to go faster as you get older is something to do with science. The older you get, the faster time seems to go by. This probably sounds stupid without having an article to back it up but basically I'm just trying to say YOU ARE RIGHT.

    My nighttime routine is like, 3 times as long as my morning routine! In the mornings I just get up, slap some makeup on, and go, but at night I like to spend close to an hour relaxing and putting on my lotions and potions. So, twins!

    You have a lot of great goals for this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^ she's right - it's because you have more time behind you. when you're a kid, a day seems like ages, a week FOREVER and a year is like incomprehensible. as an adult, we've lived more (duh) so a week is nothing, a year is reasonable, a day is a blink. you know?
    good to hear 2016 was such a great year for you girl, i hope 2017 is everything you want as well. i hope you're able to find some me time and step back from the business. we paid a car off this month and i can't wait to see the benefits of that extra money.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! If you have a specific question please feel free to email me at krmathison@ hotmail.com